$5000 races at Addington

Home Forums Owners Chat $5000 races at Addington

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by avatar LAMOUR 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Neil Bennett

see the news item recently posted – what do we think about this as owners?

LAMOUR

I have posted on another forum about this and got very little response, so maybe Dean has a point. Owners either don’t mind them or don’t care.

Generally I think any race under $7,000 should be penalty free,but above that I find it short sighted and dangerous that Addington is going down this path. With Auckland now offering $12,000 maidens I know for a fact some prominent Canty trainers are planning to send their most promising horses north. This will deplete fields in Canty and leave Addington to compete with the likes Forbury and Manawatu for horses to complete their lower class fields.

In time to come we may look at Addington and say the biggest disaster to hit the NZMTC was not the earthquake but the departure of Shane Gorey and the arrival of Dean McKenzie

Neil Bennett

Thanks Lamour. The club must be worried when they only had 87 noms originally for the meeting tonight. Too many race meetings with Forbury and Ashburton on Sunday.

We need Addington to be the premier venue in the south and not to run $5000 races.

LAMOUR

Another thing, Addington should be aiming for min $8,000 stakes before they consider running their super series. I have heard McKenzie refer several times to Addingtons 5 year plan but no mention of what that actually is. Judging by their enthusiastic uptake of ever increasing $5,000 dollar races perhaps their end game is to be to NZ Harness racing what Wagga Wagga is to Harness racing in Australia.

Trebor54

Not from this world anyway…I thought several years ago it was mutted that major Metro clubs would not run races under $10k

Richard Brosnan
    Participant

To be satisfied with $5000 races because they attract full fields shows that the CEO of the Metropolitan TC does not have his heart in the right place. Satisfaction is not what we need. What we need is leadership. What we need is for the Addington to raise the bar and not revert to three decades ago when stakes where comparable to what is dished out today.

LAMOUR

Trainers will eventually see the fault in McKenzie’s theory. I am involved in a horse 100% owned in Christchurch. We have sent it to Dunedin where the fields are genuinely weaker and he can race for $6,000. Then if he strikes form we can go through to Southland and in most cases race for $8,000.
    My point is, long term why would you keep an average horse racing at Addington, the numbers don’t stack up. Average maidens and c1’s better off in Southland Otago and the smart maidens can race for really good money in Auckland. If the NZMTC don’t boost minimum stakes soon there will be a mass exodus from Canty.

LAMOUR

The thing about these $5,000 dollar races is that they aren’t even conditioned races eg. for 6yr old maidens or c1 horses that have won less than $5,000 in their last 10 starts. They are open races for their class which makes them all the more inexcusable. Some are even for c1 horses and I don’t know any other club that offers only $5,000 for c1 or above. Not even central North Island races go that low.
    It’s time trainers started boycotting these races. If we could get Purdon/Rass. Dalgety, Jones, Hopes and Tim Butt and David Butt to approach the NZMTC and tell them they won’t be nominating for any $5,000 races it would force a change.

Neil Bennett

good idea Lamour – we need owners who have horses with these trainers to do exacty that.

LAMOUR

Thanks Neil. I have a quarter share in a horse that hopefully will make it to the races from Cran’s stable some time next year and if these races are still an issue then and we are lucky enough to make it to the races I will be putting my 2 cents in about boycotting them.

I am not against $5,000 races in general as it is good to have a place for battlers to race where they can be competitive, but that place is not at Addington on Thursday through to Sunday meetings intermingled with other races on the program.

I don’t really have a problem with the way they use to do it with low class racing during the day on Tuesdays.
    And if you are reading this Mr McKenzie, don’t take that as meaning I wouldn’t have a problem with $5,000 races on cup day. Nothing would surprise me.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.