HRNZ attitude to owners

Home Forums Owners Chat HRNZ attitude to owners

This topic contains 16 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by avatar eljay 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

The response by HRNZ to the various questions put to the members of the Executive says a lot about their attitude towards owners. Gary Allens reponse was in my opinion written by Peter Rennell and failed to give any clear support to the various matters raised. Are owners represented on the Harness Racing Executive and if so how is that person chosen. I have owned horses for over 40 years and have never been given an opportunity to vote for a representative. Until we have a a person on the HRNZ Executive elected by owners we will continue to be ignored and we will have no say as to how the industry is managed. A mechanism giving all active horses owners the opportunity to vote for such a representative must be established

Neil Bennett

Hi Don. Ken Spicer represents the owners on HRNZ but hopefully there is a contest this year. The various owners committees across the country (there are not many) elect that representative. I did 12 month on the Canterbury committee before work commitments stopped me attending and we never saw Ken at any meetings to get our views.
    Thanks for participating in here – this really does represent our last chance to have an input. But be careful – Edward doesn’t like negative people who dont have alternative suggestions.

Anonymous

How many owners are there that are members of owners associations. How many owners are there that even know that these associations n exist. Surely if people are to be appointed to represent owners there should be ample opportunity given to owners to be made aware of the existence of these associations and encouragement for them to become members. Could HRNZ not establish a new owners welcome package containing information on owners associations in their area and information on how to join. If Ken Spicer is the owners representative what is his mandate and how did he get appointed?

Neil Bennett

Canterbury has the largest membership Don but only rejoined the NZ Association a year ago due a previous split over money as Canterbury has good levels of funds from the days of running trials and some legacy. They sponsored every race on owners night at Addington and we were fortunate enough to win one of the bonus cheques. The admin for NZ Owners was done by Standardbred Breeders until recently and this forum and site is Richard Brosnan’s last attempt to make a difference. With some passionate supporters he has a good chance this time or else I guess we take our ball and go home.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by avatar Neil Bennett.
    eljay
    Participant

There is an election this year. Sheldon Murtha is standing against Ken Spicer.

Anonymous

Where do you sign up to be eligible to vote

eljay
    Participant

As Neil said above, the voting is done at branch committee level. I’m sure the chairman of your local branch would welcome any input in this or any other matter. This is where we hope this Website/Forum will be of use to all owners and regardless of which branch you wish to contact, by posting in here will be an effective tool in this regard. Richard Brosnan is in constant contact with all the branches and I know he would pass on anything you wish to whichever branch you required.

Anonymous

Very democratic

Neil Bennett

it isn’t probably never been a vote before as this branch approach doesn’t do anything to encourage input from the owners. Having a voice through this site is a very good start. But there will need to be a much more concerted effort to be heard. Are the Exec meetings open to the public “ie owners”. Would be interesting to sit in and see the input from our representative.

Anonymous

If these people are claiming to represent owners then a mechanism must be given to ensure that owners are given an opportunuty to elect their representative. Having committees select a person is not good enough especially when these organisations have so few members and make very little effort to gain new members

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.